Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Getting Used to Boredom

I have a boring job. You might be able to relate with me on this. This is a fairly new job, and I am faced with a crisis; the crisis of boredom. When I first started this job I could hardly stand it. I could hardly stand to sit for so long in the same area, space and environment. My own thoughts even began to drive me crazy as I watched the clock tick by ever so slowly. Have you ever been so bored that you get frustrated with time? I would get frustrated that my day was going by so slowly! In an effort to ease the pains of boredom I resorted to multiple avenues of entertainment: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest etc. I even tried productive outlets: planning, scheduling, reading, and praying. But I still felt disappointed at the end of my day because there was a lack of success and productivity.

 As the weeks passed by I stopped noticing that I was so bored. Looking back on those weeks I realized my work load hadn’t increased, I hadn’t found the perfect distraction from boredom, I hadn’t become more productive or efficient; I was getting used to being bored. At some point during those few short weeks I had made a subconscious decision that I was okay with being bored. I don’t think I am alone in this situation. Whether it is in a career, family or just life in general there has been a compromise in dreams, ambitions and passions and a settling for bored. I think most people start their adult lives excited about what is to come, but a few entry level jobs and setbacks later, they find themselves complacent with mediocre and average; not knowing how they even got there. Boredom becomes a part of life and the dreams of their youth become a memory. Life then goes into coast mode. I despise these statements:
“Another day, another dollar.”
 “Just another day.”
 “Not too bad.”
 “Living for the weekend.”
 “I just want this day to be over.”

 When did life become about barely getting by and enduring rather than thriving and living a full, rich life? The mentality of “putting up with life” has overtaken youthful dreams and it fits people into a mold they always promised they would never be caught in. I don’t want to ever be used to a boring, dull life. A 40 hour work week is a lot of time to spend on something that you hate. Who has ever been fulfilled in life by working 40 hours a week just to pay the bills?

I have learned from this boring job. Instead of letting my mind become mushy, I am engaging my talents, abilities and potential to become irreplaceable.I am never going to get this time back. As a 21 year old, I have decided to live full and exciting days. I have high expectations for adulthood and I choose to forsake boredom.


No comments:

Post a Comment